School
Homeschooling has definately been a huge adjustment for us all. We are focusing mostly on the core subjects of language, grammer, reading, writing, and math. For the first few weeks it was difficult for the kids to sit down and focus on their own work and not worry what the other one was doing. But that has imporved significantly now. Both kids have responded extremely well to Ruth as their teacher. There is a lot more whining and sighing going on when I'm trying to teach. Why do kids do things for others that they won't do for their parents....if anyone has a good answer I'd love to hear it!
Kaelyn has been working really hard at her work. She has come along way especially in her math. One morning she got up at 5:30 and started at her work so she could get ahead in some things. She has had a really positive attitude in the last week and lots of times that can be half the battle.
Jacob has been working hard as well. He has become quite the math whiz. In his first two math units he had every page all right....we're working on Unit 3 and his goal is to try for perfection again! When he isn't distracted with too many things he can apply himself quite well.
The advantages to homeschooling are many....but I think the kids enjoy this advantage....taking the classroom outside! Outside is nice, but in a HAMMOCK.....even better!
When the weather is nice the kids enjoy their stories lounging in a hammock. This time Mrs. Darling was able to join along with Willy Wonka. He made himself quite at home on Ruth's lap as you can see in the next picture.
The weather is getting cooler up here and the days in the hammock are becoming fewer. The kids will have to enjoy them while they last!
Chores
In the morning before breakfast and in the evening after dinner it is chore time. One of the chores is to take care of a little farm in Railton. Kaelyn loves going with Ruth to do the chores and she is a great help. The farm is owned by a family who lives in Toronto and comes up to Kingston on the weekends. Kaelyn has grown quite attached to the horses here....especially Ranger Troy!
Usually when we get to Railton the horses are in the back field. However, the minute they hear you coming to feed them they all hurry over to their bowls for their grain and then over to the hay.
In this picture you can see all six horses....what's really neat is that not one of them is the same color. They are like the rainbow in browns....going from cream to dark brown.
Jacob fills up the water for the horses
Why go through the gate when you can just climb under? That's my Jacob!
The Railton farm has about 4 kitty cats. Every night we get a report on how many were at the barn. There have been a LOT of coyotes around. When we don't see a cat for a couple of days we worry that the coyotes have had a little snack.
Visits from Daddy
We always look forward to our visits with Daddy. He keeps busy doing different jobs around the house and the farm. We enjoy going with Daddy to the barn and checking in on any of the horses that might need a veterinarians hand. Ivan has been around to see one of Kaelyn's riding lessons and hopefully we can get him here on a night when Jacob rides. This week the kids had there bikes out quite a bit....doing tricks to impress Ivan! Jacob is working on his "pop-o-wheelies"....
You can't beat that smile!
Uncle Mike and Aunt Deanne
Well, another plus about being in Kingston is seeing a lot more of Uncle Mike and Aunt Deanne than we would normally. The past two weekends we have spent our Sundays with them and it has been awesome. This weekend Nana and Papa were also around. That was another special treat for us. There are lots of places to hike in Kingston and so far Mike and Deanne have taken the kids to Lemoine Point and to Gould Lake....I can't wait until I can join in on the hikes. From the pictures (taken by Papa) it looks like there is an awful lot of beautiful scenery!
Medical Update
I am very happy to report that my hip is recovering very nicely. I am no longer using the crutches and can put quite a bit of pressure on my leg. The physiotherapist has been working me hard! This past week I was on the eliptical and stationary bike for a total of 15 minutes and also doing a little bit of weight lifting. The goal now is to continue to build up the strength and the stamina of the leg. Every now and then if I stand on the leg the wrong way I experience some pain but it doesn't happen too often. I am able to bend up and down quite well and do stairs! My biggest problem is remembering to take is slowly and not rush too far ahead of myself....I'm working on that.
My medication changes are still having some adverse affects. I haven't been getting good quality sleep for several weeks now. My tremors and anxiety have increased substantially. It is a hard thing to balance. Do you grin and bare the negative effects for a hopefully positive outcome in the end. Thankfully I have been able to rest during the day when I need too. Usually by 10:00 a.m. I am pretty wiped. Ruth sends me off to rest while she teaches Kaelyn and Jacob. The increased anxiety and mood changes are concerning...but I am in good hands and that is a blessing all in it's own. It is hard to know if this is a reaction to medication changes or a reaction to the stress of change and illness. The week after Thanksgiving I will be seeing my doctor again and we can re-evaluate then.
I am starting a study on CONTENTMENT and I am excited to share some of it with everyone. In Ecclesiastes 3 it talks about "a time for every matter." We have seasons in our lives of laughter and tears, love and loss, work and play. Often we fight against the weeping, the mourning, and the losing to strive instead for the dancing, embracing, and peace. But God has ordered our world to flow in and out of these seasons. How is it possible to be content on the mountaintops AND in the valleys? I think that God gives us the answer when He speaks in Proverbs of trusting in Him and leaning not on our own understanding. Contentment in the valleys comes when we stop fighting so hard to climb out of them. We know that God has ordained our valleys for our good. We have to not only trust him to get us out of the valleys but also trust His goodness while we are in them. If we trust God in both seasons we will be content with whatever God has placed on our path...the easy and the hard. Good times may come and go but CONTENTMENT is designed to be constant for all of us who live in Christ.
Prayer Requests
- continued strength for Ruth and Ernie as they care for our family
- perseverance and a good attitude for Kaelyn and Jacob in their school work
- comfort for Kaelyn, Jacob and myself when we are feeling homesick
- strength for Ivan who is at home alone
- continued healing for my hip
- a restful night sleep and calmness of spirit
- trust in God as we walk through the different seasons he has ordained for us
- CONTENTMENT in all circumstances


























Hi Melissa, I always look forward to reading your blog. You have such a nice way of writing and putting things in perspective. I feel so blessed to have you as a friend. You have some beautiful pictures there. Kaelyn and Jacob look so happy and content. I wish you and your family a blessed thanksgiving.
ReplyDeleteHarriet Vaisanen
Hi Melissa, Kaylyn and Jacob. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the update on how you are doing. We look so forward to reading your blog and looking at the great photo's!
We have prayed for you all and asked that the Lord would give you a spirit of "Rest in Him" while you are at the farm with Ruth and Ernie.
We do miss you all, yet we know the Lord in His perfect plan has designed this time for you to heal. May you all have a blessed Thanksgiving, remembering God's amazing grace in your lives!
Love, hugs and prayers
Dave, Daph, Nikki, Anna and Jake