All of us have experienced our share of burdens and trials. The next chapter in Linda Dillow’s book Calm My Anxious Heart is titled “Content with Circumstances”.
We can all categorize our life into positives and negatives that God has allowed in our lives. The questions we have to ask ourselves is this: Which category do we spend most of our time dwelling on?
Here is a noteworthy quote that Linda gives in her book:
“Two women looked though prison bars
One saw mud, the other saw stars”
Each of us has a choice about how we look at life. We can focus on the mud or lift our eyes and see the stars. I have certainly had to remind myself over and over again to lift my eyes and see the stars rather than dwelling on the mud.
We had to make a really tough decision in January about what was best for Kaelyn. Some have questioned our decision to have her in Kingston without us…and to tell you the truth we have questioned ourselves many times as well. But we really think that this is the best thing for her right now in our circumstances. We’ve made the decision, now we pray that it was the right one. But I still think about the time I am missing in the growth of her character. I miss the time we would spend in the evening reading and talking. I miss the mischievous twinkle in her eye. I miss her giggle. I think of the lost opportunities to have a positive influence in her walk with God.
BUT…I love having her come home and listening to the stories she has to tell of all the excitement happening at the farm. I love seeing her enjoy her school work and experience success with the hard work she does. Her eyes twinkle like I’ve never seen before when she talks about Ziggy and her riding lessons. It is neat to see her so motivated to do chores and carry different responsibilities. She is eager to help out where ever she is needed. After a few days at home she is anxious to get back to her “home away from home” and her beloved animals. I know she is in the best of hands possible and more importantly in a home where God is at the center.
In this case, I am choosing to look at the stars and dwell on the positives!
We all have circumstances that appear to be prison bars. So how do we learn to be content in them rather than content when they improve? The answer comes in this chapters memory verse!

Click on picture to download
OUR PART
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philipians 4:6
Paul gives us an exhortation here to not worry but rather to pray. Simple as that. Our part in the process of learning to be content is a choice….to pray rather than to be anxious.
How often have I not spent time worrying about one thing or another and only coming before God in pray as a last resort. It’s easier to worry, fret, lose sleep, get angry with those we are close to than to pray.
But Paul doesn’t just say pray. We must also be thankful as we pray. We must also look at the positive things in the situations that we worry about. We must trust that the Blessed Controller knows what is best for us in all circumstances.
When confronted with difficult or negative circumstances we have a choice to make: worry or pray!
GOD’S PART
“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7
Paul continues. If we choose to pray then we will experience God’s peace. God will encircle us with his peace and help our weak and feeble heart and mind. All of the “what if’s” that our mind throws back and forth will fade with God’s peace. All of the wild emotions of our heart will diminish with God’s peace.
God’s peace follows our choice to pray rather than to be anxious. How often do we give our anxiety up to Him and then take it back ten minutes later. It happens to me more often than I would like to admit. Linda Dillow offers some advice when we do this. Take some time to list all the positive things the Lord has accomplished in your difficult circumstances. Pray over this list, thank Him for the work that has been done and ask him to continue the work that still needs to be done!
THINK ABOUT SUCH THINGS
“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” Philippians 4:8
Paul comes back to our part in the last verse of this chapter’s scripture. It is really hard to be in control of our minds, yet this is what God requires of us. We must focus on the positive rather than the negative. In 2 Corinthians 10:5 we are commanded to “take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” We are to be transformed by the renewing of our mind (Romans 12:2) and we can do this when we take negative thoughts captive and dwell on the positive.
It is our thought life, NOT our circumstances, family, friends, job, finacial status or anything else that determines whether we are content.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT
“Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” (Philippians 4:9)
Now Paul combines our part with His part.
Practice is doing something over and over…and for the second time we see that if we obey we will receive God’s peace!

Click on picture to download
Ultimately, I’ve learned that contentment really has nothing to do with circumstances but rather with our attitude. We can do this with Paul as an example. He chose to dwell on the positives amidst the many negatives in his life. My learning curve is a little slow. But I think I am learning to surrender to the Blessed Controller. To accept His timing, His ways and His outcome! I’m looking to the stars!
We can all categorize our life into positives and negatives that God has allowed in our lives. The questions we have to ask ourselves is this: Which category do we spend most of our time dwelling on?
Here is a noteworthy quote that Linda gives in her book:
“Two women looked though prison bars
One saw mud, the other saw stars”
Each of us has a choice about how we look at life. We can focus on the mud or lift our eyes and see the stars. I have certainly had to remind myself over and over again to lift my eyes and see the stars rather than dwelling on the mud.
We had to make a really tough decision in January about what was best for Kaelyn. Some have questioned our decision to have her in Kingston without us…and to tell you the truth we have questioned ourselves many times as well. But we really think that this is the best thing for her right now in our circumstances. We’ve made the decision, now we pray that it was the right one. But I still think about the time I am missing in the growth of her character. I miss the time we would spend in the evening reading and talking. I miss the mischievous twinkle in her eye. I miss her giggle. I think of the lost opportunities to have a positive influence in her walk with God.
BUT…I love having her come home and listening to the stories she has to tell of all the excitement happening at the farm. I love seeing her enjoy her school work and experience success with the hard work she does. Her eyes twinkle like I’ve never seen before when she talks about Ziggy and her riding lessons. It is neat to see her so motivated to do chores and carry different responsibilities. She is eager to help out where ever she is needed. After a few days at home she is anxious to get back to her “home away from home” and her beloved animals. I know she is in the best of hands possible and more importantly in a home where God is at the center.
In this case, I am choosing to look at the stars and dwell on the positives!
We all have circumstances that appear to be prison bars. So how do we learn to be content in them rather than content when they improve? The answer comes in this chapters memory verse!
Click on picture to download
OUR PART
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.” Philipians 4:6
Paul gives us an exhortation here to not worry but rather to pray. Simple as that. Our part in the process of learning to be content is a choice….to pray rather than to be anxious.
How often have I not spent time worrying about one thing or another and only coming before God in pray as a last resort. It’s easier to worry, fret, lose sleep, get angry with those we are close to than to pray.
But Paul doesn’t just say pray. We must also be thankful as we pray. We must also look at the positive things in the situations that we worry about. We must trust that the Blessed Controller knows what is best for us in all circumstances.
When confronted with difficult or negative circumstances we have a choice to make: worry or pray!
GOD’S PART
“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7
Paul continues. If we choose to pray then we will experience God’s peace. God will encircle us with his peace and help our weak and feeble heart and mind. All of the “what if’s” that our mind throws back and forth will fade with God’s peace. All of the wild emotions of our heart will diminish with God’s peace.
God’s peace follows our choice to pray rather than to be anxious. How often do we give our anxiety up to Him and then take it back ten minutes later. It happens to me more often than I would like to admit. Linda Dillow offers some advice when we do this. Take some time to list all the positive things the Lord has accomplished in your difficult circumstances. Pray over this list, thank Him for the work that has been done and ask him to continue the work that still needs to be done!
THINK ABOUT SUCH THINGS
“Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” Philippians 4:8
Paul comes back to our part in the last verse of this chapter’s scripture. It is really hard to be in control of our minds, yet this is what God requires of us. We must focus on the positive rather than the negative. In 2 Corinthians 10:5 we are commanded to “take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” We are to be transformed by the renewing of our mind (Romans 12:2) and we can do this when we take negative thoughts captive and dwell on the positive.
It is our thought life, NOT our circumstances, family, friends, job, finacial status or anything else that determines whether we are content.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT
“Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” (Philippians 4:9)
Now Paul combines our part with His part.
Practice is doing something over and over…and for the second time we see that if we obey we will receive God’s peace!
Click on picture to download
Ultimately, I’ve learned that contentment really has nothing to do with circumstances but rather with our attitude. We can do this with Paul as an example. He chose to dwell on the positives amidst the many negatives in his life. My learning curve is a little slow. But I think I am learning to surrender to the Blessed Controller. To accept His timing, His ways and His outcome! I’m looking to the stars!
No comments:
Post a Comment