Monday, September 20, 2010

God is in Control

In the sidebar there is a link to a song written and sung by Robin Mark. You can listen to the song by hitting the play button. If you have six or seven minutes I would love for you all to hear it. It is where the title of our blog comes from.

The first time I heard the song “All is Well” by Robin Mark was around Christmas time last year. It was a song that touched my heart immediately. Since then I have listened and sung this song many times. Sometimes I join in and sing along at the top of my lungs. This of course only happens if I’m alone. Kaelyn doesn’t think I should be singing out loud! Often I have sat back and let the tears roll down my cheeks as I ponder the profound truths spoken of in the song. Many times this song will be playing and I realize that it is a message that I needed to be reminded of. In some instances Ivan and I have played the song intentionally as we faced difficult decisions and trials. Often I have fallen asleep with to the beautiful tune and a peace that indeed, all is well with my soul.

This past year has been an eventful one for our family. The lyrics ring so true for us. We have been so richly blessed. Kaelyn and Jacob are two very healthy children. We have designed and built a beautiful home. We have family close by to lean on and a church family that embraces us with so much love and concern. We have close friends that we can open up to and share with. We have been blessed to enjoy holidays like camping and Florida. We have the privilege to send our children to a Christian school….the list goes on.

However, like everyone, we have been given some trials to carry. We’ve endured the sorrow and pain that goes along with a church split. We’ve experienced worry and concern as we have waited for health related test results. Our family and daily life have been impacted with the anxieties and stress that accompany a weakened and compromised physical condition. I think one of the biggest difficulties has been the uncertainty of what is causing the different symptoms and deterioration of my health. I often wish for an answer so that there is a tangible problem and a way to address it. We know that we are not alone. There are so many around us that suffer much greater trials than us. And yet we have to recognize God’s absolute sovereignty in our own personal afflictions. The suffering season of life is a beautiful time to glorify God. It provides us with a fresh incentive to grow in grace and to develop spiritually.

A door has been opened for us to address some of our trials and burdens in a unique situation. We have had to prayerfully consider whether this door is God’s will for us or not. How do you go about making a decision that could, very well, be life-changing…not only for yourself but for your children and spouse? The answer to our uncertainty comes when we look to God for a solution. Thankfully He has given us His Holy Word to help us find our way through the trials of life. Believing and relying on God's Word sheds incredible light on just about any issue.

By moving to Kingston, to be under the care of Drs. Ernie and Ruth Nelson, our family once again will be apart. All of us will have to make adjustments from familiar and comfortable routines to ones that are not so familiar. We ask ourselves if by addressing my health concerns are we compromising Kaelyn and Jacob’s well-being. Do the hopeful benefits out weigh the challenges? We do not pretend to know the answer to these challenging questions. What we do know is that God has a plan for us and our family. God will do all He can to help us find His plan and attain it. It is the Lord Almighty who will give us the grace to make a right decisions and show good judgment.

It is in this grace that Ivan and I can find peace. We believe that God has lead us to this crossroad in our lives. We are comforted with the assurance that our Lord has a good and wise purpose to be served in our decision to seek help in Kingston, even if it is not exactly the same purpose we see. What lies ahead, we do not know. There may be a few bumps and even some road blocks. But there may also be smooth sailing and open highways. Whatever is the case we know that GOD IS IN CONTROL.

Through this blog we hope to share with you the adventure we have begun…..the smooth parts and the bumpy parts! We would like to keep you up to date on my health but also give you a feel for where we are, what we are doing and how we are doing. Like Robin Mark says in the lyrics of his song we are in the grasp of the Rock of Ages! We put our trust in Him and know that we are in His hands.

WHATEVER IS HIS WAY….ALL IS WELL.

All is Well - Lyrics
There is no one holy like the Lord,
There is no one beside Him

There is no rock like our God.
The Lord brings death and makes a life
He brings dying to the grave, He raises up

The Lord sends poverty and wealth,
He humbles and He exalts
He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ashes.

He lowers us to raise us
So we can sing His praises,
Whatever is His way, all is well

He makes us rich and poor,
That we might trust Him more,
Whatever is His way, all is well

All my changes come from Him,
He who never changes
I’m held firm in the grasp of the Rock of all the Ages.
All is well with my soul.
He is God in control.

I know not, all His plans,
But I know I’m in His hands,
I’m in his hands.

He clothes us now then strips us,
Yet with his word equips us,
Whatever is His way, all is well

And though our seasons change,
We still exalt his name,
Whatever is His way, all is well.

2 comments:

  1. Always in our prayers. We miss seeing you around. May God continue to bless you all. (Bet Ivan likes the quiet without "us" around:)
    love from the Boeremas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, Liz, Riley and KiaraSeptember 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

    Thanks for the update, will look forward to reading more. Thinking about you all... lots of prayers going up :)
    Keep in touch, lots of love
    Liz

    ReplyDelete